About the job
We are looking for an Backend Software Engineer to join our rapidly growing team. This role will be split between our new offices in Reading (2-3 days per week) and remote working.
We're working to solve some of the most challenging environmental problems in city centre, last-mile logistics, which means an opportunity to have a significant impact on the world around us, and what it will look like in the future, from your very first day.
We want to revolutionise city centre logistics in order to make urban environments better places to live and work. We’re creating the world's safest commercial vehicles by reimagining conventional truck design principles, thanks to our full-electric drivetrain, and thus protecting vulnerable road users. Our electric powertrain also eliminates harmful tailpipe emissions, removing harmful pollutants that contribute to climate change. A crucial part of our journey is building a team of outstanding employees who share our vision for the future and our values of safety and sustainability.
You’ll be joining a world class team, backed by top investors that all believe in the future we are creating. We have ambitious growth plans for 2021 and beyond, scaling our team and activity at an exciting pace. We are a people-led company focused around creating an exceptional business, and all employees have a high level of autonomy and a platform to make a real impact.
What You Will Do
You will be working in the cloud team within the Digital Experience Department. You will exposure to Agile Software development work. You will be hands on technical problems. On any given day you might be architecting new features for our customers, refactoring existing code to be more scalable, and seeing changes through to completion in a live environment.
- Build robust and scalable features for Volta digital products (C#, Ruby, Python and/or Java).
- Collaborate with Product Management and other stakeholders within Engineering (Frontend, UX, etc.) to maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative release environment
- Recognize impediments to our efficiency as a team ("technical debt"), propose and implement solutions
- Design and create services and system architectures, contribute, and provide feedback to other team members.
- Improve our code quality through writing unit tests, automation and performing code reviews.
- Participate in brainstorming sessions and contribute ideas to our technology, algorithms and products.
- Work with the Product team to understand end-user requirements, formulate use cases, and then translate that into a pragmatic and effective technical solution.
- Dive into difficult problems and successfully deliver results on schedule
We Would Like You To Have
- Recent hands-on coding, software design and CD/CI toolchains.
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- A track record of projects completed on time – you are an executor, not a procrastinator.
- You find satisfaction in a job well done and want to solve head-scratching challenges.
- Experience with all phases of the software development life cycle, best practices and Agile Software Development.
- Solid software design knowledge – you should know how to create software that’s extensible, reusable and meets desired architectural objectives.
- A strong familiarity of Web Server technologies
- Work autonomously, are excited by new technologies, and will never back down from the challenges of scale.
- Experience with Linux/Unix
- Knowledge in database systems and NoSQL databases such as DynamoDB.
- Willingness to learn new tools and process
- Proactive personality
- Experience deploying machine learning models is a plus.
A Typical Volta Trucks Person
- Thinks and acts in a non-traditional way.
- Closely shares our values of safety, sustainability and electrification.
- Is action-orientated, proactive and works at pace.
- Is transparent, progressive & entrepreneurial.
- Is adaptable, resilient and open to change.
What Working Here Will Be Like
- We are a small, fast-growing team so you will have a high degree of ownership and accountability, and you will be directly exposed to all areas of the business.
- We are a start-up, so don't have a lot of structures and processes. Things change quickly and we acknowledge when we get things wrong and change direction.
- We are a diverse business, from many nationalities and backgrounds.
- We really value our people. We have a flexible & remote work environment and a great benefits package & pension scheme
- We are committed to creating a first-class work environment. Every employee has a voice and we encourage open communication.