About the job:
Business Unit: Digital Engineering, Change & Delivery
Salary: Up to £42,600 depending on experience
Location: Remote - work from anywhere within the UK
Contract Type: Permanent
We’ve made good progress on our transformation into a digital bank. From launching new digital propositions for customers to embedding our new colleague proposition - A Life More Virgin, together we’re creating something unique in UK banking. If we are to grow as a digital-first bank, we need to accelerate our digital agenda so it’s a very exciting time to be joining us.
What do YOU get when you join Virgin Money… Red Hot Rewards of course!
- 38.5 days annual leave for all colleagues (including bank holidays and pro rata if part-time)
- Five extra paid well-being days per year
- A 35 hour working week
- 20 weeks paid, gender neutral family leave (52 weeks in total) for expectant parents and those looking to adopt
- Market leading Pension
- Private Medical Insurance
- Flexible benefits including Cycle to Work, Wellness & Health Assessments and Critical Illness
- A digital-first colleague experience
- Ability to work anywhere in the UK (where the role allows)
All these benefits are available to colleagues from their first day.
Have we got your attention? Let’s tell you a wee bit more about Digital Engineering and the job!
We’re growing our mobile team and have an several exciting opportunities at all levels. Mobile is an essential part of the organisation’s growth plans and strategy. Therefore, we're on the lookout for an Android Developer to help us deliver an engaging customer experience. What do Digital Engineering do I hear you say – Well we are responsible for delivering the digital capabilities that enable our customers to engage with their finances when and how they want to. We deliver across web and mobile channels across a range of technologies. Being digital and on the go has never been so important – we love what we do and it’s truly an exciting time to join the team!
Tell me more…
As an iOS/Android Developer, we’re not just looking for a coder but someone who also enjoys engaging and collaborating with team members and stakeholders. We believe in collaboration, with Agile at the heart of everything we do. We aren’t perfect (who is?) so we iterate and improve as we go. We are looking for people who can not only help us continue to disrupt the banking sector but also how we become better at what we do!
If you’re an IT professional, who enjoys being responsible for the app you provide to your customer and collaborating and learning from the work of other Mobile Developers within the mobile team, then this role is perfect for you! Typically, you’ll have good experience of iOS/Android Development, proficient wit `swift and have a knowledge of Objective C, and have experience of working in an Agile environment.
Day to day you’ll:
• Assist on design and development of new features
• Collaborate on code with other Android developers
• Build design test and deliver high quality solutions in line with guidance and best practices of the team
• Own and manage your workload and the quality of the solutions you produce
• Adhere to the architectural principles prescribed by the tech lead
• Design and develop reusable libraries and code that is easy to maintain, understand and re-use
• Learn new technologies and augment your skills to keep abreast of new development within your chosen field
• Contribute to the overall evolution of best practice within Virgin Money
• Write and review clear and concise technical documentation to support your work
To be brilliant you’ll need to bring:
• Previous practical experience and expertise in iOS/Android development within a team environment running Agile Methodologies
• Able to work either as part of a pair, or autonomously dependent on the size of your project
• Superb interpersonal skills and credibility with your peers.
• Interest, drive and proactivity to contribute to the Android team discussions on technology and process
• Practical experience in Agile development, e.g. Scrum, Kanban, SAFe
It would be amazing if you had (but not essential):
• Experience of dealing with device fragmentation across the Android platform
• Co-routines, work manager, memory management, dependency Injection and testing frameworks
• Data modelling and associated technologies
• Deign Patterns and frameworks such as MVVM MVP and MVI
• Integrating with Web Services and API’s ideally REST
• And finally, we’d love it if you’ve got experience working with cross-platform technologies like React Native, Flutter or Kotlin Multi Platform.
We really need you to have the skills and experience listed in the "to be brilliant you’ll need to bring" section above, but the Amazing section is just our wish list, so please don’t let that put you off applying, we’d love to hear from you!
Inclusion at Virgin Money
Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do here at Virgin Money. It’s good for you, it’s good for us and it’s amazing for our customers. We know that great minds don’t think alike, so we rely on your diverse thoughts, feelings, beliefs and backgrounds to be the best we can possibly be. Got any questions about this or need some support with your application? We’d love to hear from you so get in touch with our friendly team at email@example.com.
Now the legal bit…
Living A Life More Virgin allows our colleagues to be based anywhere in the UK (if the role allows it) but we will need to you to confirm you have the Right to Work in the UK.
If we offer you a job and you accept, there are some checks we need to complete before you can start with us. This will include a credit and criminal record check, as well as providing 3 years' worth of satisfactory references
Applications close: 21 Mar 2022