10,001+ employees · Software Development
About the job
Business Function Overview
In alignment with our Microsoft values, we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment for all employees to positively impact our culture every day and we need you as a Regional Critical Environment (CE) Program Manager.
Microsoft’s Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services. As a CO+I CE Program Manager, you will perform a key role in delivering and managing the critical environment infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's online services including Bing, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform. As a group, CO+I is focused on the personal and professional development for all employees and offers trainings and growth opportunities including Career Rotation Programs, Diversity & Inclusion trainings and events, and professional certifications.
Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our foundation is built upon and managed by a team of subject matter experts working to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
With environmental sustainability and optimization at the forefront of our datacenter design and operations, we continue to grow and evolve as we meet the ever-changing business demands that hold Microsoft as a world-class cloud provider.
Do you want to empower billions across the world? Come and join us in CO+I and be at the forefront of the action! #COICareers
As a successful Regional CE Program Manager (CEPM), your performance objectives will include:
- Providing direction, guidance, and oversight on projects, programs, and initiatives for the Critical Environment (CE) discipline of Data Center Field Operations (DCO).
- Regional view of datacenter application of Critical Environments Policy and Standards to drive consistency and best practice adoption.
- Own and drive resolution of identified gaps in CE programs to allow Data Centers (DC) to achieve more.
Data Center Operations Program Management
- Provide project and program management oversight for region wide initiatives.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for field CE teams to submit feedback on the CE Program, to include process improvements, updates to standards documentation, tooling improvements/add, etc.
- Evaluate project scope and resource capacity expectations/asks/assumptions for CE related requests, projects, or initiatives.
- Operate as the central point of intake to track and prioritize the portfolio of projects impacting DC CE Operations.
- Provide governance, leadership, oversite, and management of regional level programs and initiatives
- Maintain project and program stakeholder and sponsor awareness
- Ensures the right resources and technical requirements are aligned to projects and that projects are staying within scope.
- Demonstrates conscientiousness on cost adheres to budget requirements.
- Driving cost/energy efficiency projects
Critical Environments Oversight
- Provide recommendations on new data center equipment designs, technologies, and construction methods.
- Lead, coach, and mentor DC CE Management teams conducting Root Cause Analysis (RCA) on incidents and outages to ensure presentation to leadership is ready, all aspects are accounted for, and lessons learned propagated to other sites.
- Provide additional on-site support to CE personnel as needed during incidents, critical work periods, etc.
- Monitor the campus/metro risk profile, advise on action plans to reduce overall level, and report/trend progress.
- Ensure sites are in compliance with Microsoft policies, standards, Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs), and guidelines.
- Assist with the establishment of new DC metro areas within the region by training and onboarding new CE personnel.
- Consult on CE related policies, standards, guidelines, and procedures to ensure they are up to date with current industry best practices, requirements, and learnings and applicable to DC CE Field Operations.
- Ensure DC CE Teams and personnel are trained on emergency response best practices and are able to adequately respond to the primary Emergency Operating Procedures (EOP) scenarios.
- Helps others increase impact by standardizing procedures across area of influence. Drives alignment with region and global team.
- Realizes that changes impact the work of others and proactively shares relevant information to enable efficient workflow.
- Knows when he or she does not have the required information and seeks additional information or clarification appropriately.
- Leads change in plans, goals, actions, or priorities to respond to changing situations and champions course corrections.
- Works with partner teams and supports others through change management.
- Recognizes priority of team success over individual achievement.
- Supports team goals and contributes to the success of others.
- Collaborates and negotiates effectively with others to identify delegates to deliver results.
- In alignment with management priorities, holds self-accountable for the end-to-end service quality, completeness, and resulting customer experience.
- Identifies unaddressed issues within his/her area of work and resolves, escalates, or finds the appropriate owner to ensure the highest level of quality.
- Follows and adheres to safety and security policies and procedures. Reports immediately any safety or security issues or concerns.
- Executes strategic vision as executed by leaders. Translates information from leaders into ideas for potential improvements (e.g., operations, efficiency).
- Embody our culture and values
Microsoft reviews all applications that meet the below Required Qualifications.
For this role, you are welcome to apply if you meet the following Required Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or equivalent AND good experience delivering server and network deployment projects in large-scale environments
- OR good experience supporting IT equipment or related technology.
While not required, we also look for the following Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in Critical Environment infrastructures (e.g., UPS, Generator, AHU) or working in physical IT infrastructures (e.g., Servers, SANs, Networking, Capacity, DC Rack/Enclosures, structured cabling)
- Experience working with the operation of building cooling, electrical, mechanical, and life safety systems
- Experience with Electrical Power Monitoring Systems (EPMS), Branch Circuit Monitoring (BCM), and Building Automation Systems (BAS)
- Experience in project management or relevant certification/training in project management
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in applicable engineering field or mechanical or electrical trades
- Project Management Institute (PMI) or similar certification
- Experience with physical IT infrastructures (e.g. Servers, SANs, Networking, etc.)
Background Check Requirements
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.