11-50 employees · IT Services and IT Consulting
About the job
Simple Machines is looking to hire a switched on Senior Product Designer to join our rapidly growing global consulting team. This role is to be based in either our London or Birmingham office.
Here at Simple Machines, we see it as our mission to ensure our clients get maximum leverage out of their data. We achieve this by designing and building superior modern data platforms, engineering dynamic data powered software applications and products, and enabling engineering and data-driven, business-focused use cases.
About the role
Although our Senior Product Designer will be a 'remote first' role, we expect you'll be in reasonable commuting distance to London, able to easily come into the office to collaborate with our wider team and attend workshops when required.
You'll be working very closely with a high-performance engineering team that specialise in delivering user interfaces for products used by advanced analytics, machine learning and data science teams. So, get ready to be involved in the end-to-end process - from breaking down product design requirements, understanding user stories, prototyping solutions, proposing design layouts all the way through to assessing quality control and overall effectiveness for end users.
Importantly, your role will be a key component in the delivery of a large-scale machine learning platform for a household name global telecommunications company.
Here's what we'd like to see in you:
- You'll have successfully worked closely with product and technical teams on the delivery of complex products that benefitted from a high level of collaboration
- You'll be highly capable in the effective articulation of design ideas and solutions, taking the wider team along with you so project vision and approach are perfectly aligned
- We expect you'll also be highly skilled in facilitation of design discussions to clarify the problem at hand, and communicate all requirements in a crystal clear manner to the engineering team
- It's also imperative that you have a solid understanding of design systems and extensive experience in using tools such as Sketch, Zeplin, Figma and Photoshop
- Additionally, you'll need to demonstrate strong skills in UX design (layouts, interactive wire frames) and be able to work closely and effectively with technical teams
Here's what we expect you'll be able to deliver:
- We want you to work closely with the product manager, business analyst and project leadership to break down all design requirements into components, validating design approaches with end users always at front of mind
- You'll design of broader component libraries to provide maximum consistency whilst locking down frameworks
- We expect you'll work closely with the broader team to envisage smart, cohesive designs and interfaces for our new and existing products
- We want you to gather feedback to assess how well users are interacting with our product. We'll want to know their thoughts on overall usability and any suggestions they have for improvements
- You'll look at the full end-to-end process. That's everything from the prototyping of a solution right through to working with engineering to implement features, secure quality control and gauge overall effectiveness
- We expect you'll be responsible for delivering and maintaining assets that the engineering team can work with to implement designs into production
- And, of course, you'll work with engineers, business analysts, product managers and our lead designer to effectively resolve any issues that come up during design implementation
Working at Simple Machines
Even if we do say so ourselves, working at Simple Machines is great. Truly! Not least because we offer:
- Flexible working: Want to work from home or leave early to pick up the kids or get to the gym? Need to start early some days, later on others? No problem!
- Generous parental leave so you can relax and get to know the new addition to your family: Three months paid primary carer leave and one month fully-paid secondary carer leave, subject to a minimum 12 month tenure
- Exceptional learning and development opportunities: We all love continually learning and we willingly provide a generous budget for you to upskill in areas that interest you, join conferences, get certified and get qualified
- Lunch is on us: Always! We happily supply a healthy and very more-ish lunch at each of our office locations every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. A great way to start and end the week!
- And we don't forget those who work remotely! We make all our offsite employees feel at home by providing a generous personal annual snack allowance. (You read that correctly.)
- Complimentary generous life insurance: Peace of mind for all UK-based employees.
- Employee assistance programme: Access to a great range of services that you and your family can access to help ensure your health and wellbeing both in and out of the workplace.
- Your day: Yours and yours alone! One day per year - in addition to regular annual leave - that you can take off to do whatever it is that you want to do - with absolutely no explanation required.