10,001+ employees · Entertainment Providers
About the job
Come build the future of entertainment with us. Are you interested in shaping the future of movies and television? Do you want to define the next generation of how and what Amazon customers are watching?
Amazon’s Prime Video is a premium streaming service that offers customers a vast collection of TV shows and movies - all with the ease of finding what they love to watch in one place. We offer customers thousands of popular movies and TV shows from Originals and Exclusive content to exciting live sports events. We also offer our members the opportunity to subscribe to channels which they can cancel at any time and to rent or buy newly released movies and TV box sets on the Prime Video Store. Prime Video is a fast-paced, growth business - available in over 240 countries and territories worldwide.
The team works in a dynamic environment where innovating on behalf of our customers is at the heart of everything we do. If this sounds exciting to you, please read on.
We are looking for Senior Software Development Engineers to join the Access & Playability team. We are building a core Watch and Buy system which allows all of Prime Video and other digital businesses in Amazon to check playback of titles, personalise messages and show purchasable content to our customers. We leverage industry leading technologies to enhance customer experience on mobile, big screen, web browsers, Amazon and non-Amazon living room devices.
We are seeking senior engineers who are strong team players, that can play a central role in architecting and building reusable software components and globally scalable solutions. To be successful in this role you will need excellent analytical and communication skills, and a motivation and tenacity to deliver results in a fast-paced environment, and, of course, a passion for TV and films. You will have opportunities to learn how to design and build large-scale solutions, solve problems related to processing large numbers of requests with high speed and resiliency and lead initiatives that impact millions of customers across the world. We are a backend-only team, using Java, Kotlin and AWS services.
Key job responsibilities
We are a growing set of teams who own the high scale backend systems which show customers play buttons, prices and messages in the Prime Video Application across various platforms. We are a vital set of systems for Amazon; without us no Prime Video customer could watch or buy their favourite titles.
Our APIs Answer Questions Like
- Is this video playable? We check if customer’s have purchased, rented or subscribed to a movie.
- Can the customer buy, rent or subscribe to this season? We check if they can be shown offers at their location and on their device.
- What messages do we need to show in this part of the journey? We always keep our users informed, so they know what they are getting for their hard-earned money.
You will be play a leading role in which designs, builds and delivers these backend systems handling millions of transactions per second.
A day in the life
You will design and build high throughput and low latency services with Amazon's latest cloud technologies. Your projects will impact our millions of global customers and let them watch the videos they love. You will independently lead new features and understand how to make these features BIG, so they scale – think 2m+ request per second and less than 70ms response time. NFL, Premier League, the Boys and Breathe are some of the exclusive Prime Video titles you will help our customers view. You will be working with our global teams, and your features will launch on all devices, worldwide.
About The Team
We are a diverse team with engineers from all over the world. You will be part of a supportive and collaborative group that help and learn from each other. We celebrate our successes and learn from our challenges. We offer you the chance to make a direct impact on the way Amazon customers watch video worldwide. Our teams provide opportunities to hone your ideas, challenge your thinking, develop your skills and advance your career. You will learn from our experienced engineers and have opportunity to hire, coach and mentor others.
- Experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- Non-internship professional software development experience
- Experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- Evidence of working with algorithms, data-structures, efficiency, concurrency, performance optimisation, resiliency, availability and exception handling
- Evidence of working with object-oriented development and design patterns
- OS fundamentals and systems architecture
- Cloud computing, large-scale and high-availability distributed architectures
- Experience working with Agile methodologies and using Agile practices
- Experience of leading the engineering of large initiatives that may span several teams/organisations in your current or previous role.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with Java development
- Experience building complex distributed software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers, and are sustainably maintained and supported
- Experience with workflow orchestration solutions like AWS Step Functions
- Knowledge of professional best software engineering and DevOps practices across the full software development life cycle, including coding quality standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and automation, deployment and pipeline management, service readiness and operations, maintenance and support
- Hands-on expertise in technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and points in between
- Experience with AWS infrastructure and services
- Strong analytical and excellent problem-solving skills
- Solid written and verbal English communications skills
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. Protecting your privacy and the security of your data is a longstanding top priority for Amazon. Please consult our Privacy Notice (https://www.amazon.jobs/en/privacy_page) to know more about how we collect, use and transfer the personal data of our candidates.
Our inclusive culture empowers Amazonians to deliver the best results for our customers. If you have a disability and need an adjustment during the application and hiring process, including support for the interview or onboarding process, please contact the Applicant-Candidate Accommodation Team (ACAT), Monday through Friday from 7:00 am GMT - 4:00 pm GMT. If calling directly from the United Kingdom, please dial +44 800 086 9884 (tel:+448000869884). If calling from Ireland, please dial +353 1800 851 489 (tel:+3531800851489).
Company - Amazon Dev Centre (London) Ltd
Job ID: A2226783